Saturday, October 31, 2009

It's Baaaaack

Well so much for positive thinking. I began my third trimester with the well know itching in full swing. Looks like the doctor saying that my ICP could go away as I have more babies was not so correct.

So yes, Cholestasis of pregnancy is a condition in which the normal flow of bile in the gallbladder is affected by the high amounts of pregnancy hormones. The fact that I do not have a gallbladder could also be a factor in all of this. This causes my bile to basically go into bloodstream. Bile in bloodstream causes my itching and later my jaundice. The baby needs my liver to remove it's bile too, so that is a little stress for "Sparkle" too. That is why I will begin weekly blood panels and probably fetal monitoring. Good news is that there is a medication that I can take that might help absorb the bile so itching won't be so bad. Plus based on research (google) an increase in Vit.K can also help. So I will be eating a lot of green veggies now.

Best news it that a side effect of all this is a decrease in appetite. Bad news is that I should try to eat a more low fat diet. How does that work with the holidays and my sweet foods cravings? Not so sure.

Another interesting factor could be the early arrival of "Sparkle". Most doctors like to deliver at about 38ish weeks. I am 29 weeks now. B was 2 weeks early (on her own doing) but A was pulled out at 40 weeks. So who knows what will happen with this one. It will all depend on the readiness of "Sparkle" and my health. I think I might go with early delivery if all looks good for the baby. I mean what pregnant mom wants to go the full 40 weeks anyway?

So not going nuts yet and happy that it is cold for that helps lessen the itch, but ready to ask the doctor to try the meds when I go to my appointment Wed. Still in a good mood, and positive that it won't get much worse. Also thinking who needs 4 kids? 3 might be a good number to really stop at this time :)

1 comment:

JCR said...

Just catching up. I'm SO very sorry to hear about the return of the itching. Regular third-trimester joys are challenging enough. Hang in there. I'm glad there's a safe med you can try this time. Good luck!