Monday, December 15, 2008

Teacher Gift Finished


I decided this year to make B's teacher an I Spy Jar. I found the general idea online and changed it a little to work for me. I was thinking I would do the I Spy Pillows, but when I found these plastic jars I knew this would be better.

B was so excited about it as well. We hit our local Michael's with coupons in hand to pick up needed supplies.

1. You will need an empty jar. I picked plastic in case of dropping. Any size will do, but you probably don't want it too large if for young kids.
2. Different small items to put in jar.
B and I hit the button section and found lots and lots to pick from. The best part is that many button packs are a theme so they have many different buttons in one pack. I also looked around the house and found beads, coins, paper clips...
3. Poly Pellets or Rice to fill jar.
4. Hot Glue and Ribbon for finished jar.


The jar is super easy to make. Put all items in jar after you write the list. Then fill jar with beads or rice. I filled about 3/4 of the way so the objects would move around nicely. This is geared towards a 1st grade class so I didn't want it too hard to find the items. The more you fill the jar the less room the items have to move around. This makes the SPY part harder.
I then printed a list of things to SPY and laminated it on card stock. Added the ribbon to the card, hot glued the ribbon to the inside of the lid so the tag will hang.

Hot glued the lid on, and added the final ribbon around the outside of the lid. All finished! A different, inexpensive, useful teacher's gift.

Now to make one for B. She picked all the items for her jar. I figure it will be a good thing to take on a car trip. Could keep them busy for a while.

1 comment:

JCR said...

Great idea! We have one of these in a pillow-type bag; fabric on one side and thick plastic something or other on the other. The kids love it.