Thursday, March 5, 2009

Special Child Week

B was finally picked to be the week's special child at school. She had to write answers to background questions,(who knew she wants to be a swim teacher when she grows up?) bring in photos of herself over her long 6 years, bring in a treat for the class to eat, and pick a special person to read to the class.

The list was easy for her except for the special person. For her this was a hard one. I told her I didn't count since I am there all the time. So then it was between Daddy and Grandpa. Well that all changed when big cool cousin Mike came to dinner at our house on Sunday. He is the cousin that plays football for Northwestern. The girls totally love him. When I told Mike's mom about B's special week she said B should ask Mike to read. I didn't really think he would want to, (what 22 year old male would?) but he said he really would do it. B thought this was a great idea.

Cousin Mike reading book #1, B feeling special

So today was the big day. Cousin Mike, all 6'8 of him, came into B's class and read not 1, not 2, but 3 books to 22 adoring first graders. They though he was so cool and big! The best part was at the end we were just about to leave when the questions was asked. "Can I have your autograph?" Oh it was so cute! There Mike was signing 22 autographs for the class. They were so tickled. I think this was a great day for B. She sure felt special. I think Mike did too.

5 comments:

Kat said...

That is the cutest thing ever! And he is such a muffin!

Victoria said...

that is so awesome!! hooray for B and cousin Mike, that is HILARIOUS that they asked for autographs.

(although i am kinda sad i wasn't even in the running for her "special" person lol)

Jen said...

LOL!! That's so adorable. I was a guest reader last week and nobody asked for my autograph!!

JCR said...

Awww, sounds like a great day.

Alicia said...

You are always SUPER special to the Martins Bridget!!!!