Thursday, November 6, 2008

Bye-Bye Thumbs

We, or should I say I, decided that it was now time to begin the "no thumb" transition. B still sucks most of the day and A is even worse. I figured that if I am working on B I might as well work on A too.

I bought fabric tape, the kind for band aids, and put a piece on each thumb that might be sucked. For B this means the left one. For A this means both! They both took to the tape rather well. I told them after 2 days they would earn a treat. I was so surprised with their job. B told me right away after school yesterday that she did not suck it at all. I was with A all day and she too did really well. She did not keep the tape on her thumbs, but still remembered not to suck them.


Day 2 was still pretty good. B was ready for the tape this morning and A was proud to show her teacher at school her taped thumbs. They both reported to me after school that they did great. A still took tape off at home, but did a good job not sucking.


The night now was the only thing in our way. I put tape on both girls tonight. B was a little unsure, but A told me she was taking the tape off. And she did. I managed to get one thumb covered, but the other got away. Oh well they don't suck much once they fall asleep anyways. I was surprised with the fact that B did not cry about it. In fact neither of them did. I will go in to check on the thumbs tonight, for I'm not sure B's tape will still be on.


I am in no way thinking we are done, but it has at least started out well. My goal is by the end of November to be off for good. This is when we go back to the dentist and I'd like to be able to tell him the girls no longer suck their thumbs. Wish us luck!

3 comments:

Victoria said...

B's face is priceless. love that A shows them off to her teacher. they can do it, i have faith. go mommy, good idea!

Alicia said...

Good luck! B looks so thrilled in the pic!

JCR said...

That's great! I'm so proud of them. Hope it all goes well.