Thursday, August 9, 2007

Retro Cleaning

I began the day today letting the girls know that today was cleaning day. To my surprise they did not moan or cry. In fact, when it was go time they both helped. B often asked me for her next chore. It was nice. They did take a few breaks, but that was fine with me.

As I went to the bathroom to finally scrub the sink and tub I realized I had no more scrubbing powder. I use Bon-Ami which is like Comet, but without the bleach which gives me a headache. Anyway... I had to go way back to my roots and use the baking soda that I had in the cabinet.

Let me just say that I will no longer buy any scrubbing product. I will now purchase a box for 50 cents and use it for cleaning. I think it did a better job on the sinks and tub than the actual cleaning stuff. Plus it did not cause any caustic oders for me to inhale. I also like the fact that it will not hurt the girls if there is some left in the tub when they bathe. I do try to rise well, but you know sometimes there is a little left and I don't always get to shower before they take a bath.

Since I was on a retro cleaning kick I decided to also use the white vinegar to wash the hard wood floors. I'm not sure if it the vinegar or the simple fact that I washed the floors, but they do look pretty good.

All in all it was a rather good cleaning day. In fact I still have to finish the last load of towels. I sure don't like cleaning, but I love a clean house.

2 comments:

Kat said...

Oh feel free to come my way girl! My house is a sty. As soon as I clean it seems dirtier then before...quite a let down. I will have to try the baking powder. I have never tried that before. I will let you know how it works!

JCR said...

I also love a clean house but hate to clean. I busted my butt to get the house clean before we left town, and it was so clean and pretty that I didn't want to leave!

My house is a kid house and totally looks lived in. I like it that way. We stayed at a house in Reno that was a kid house but was spotless and had a lot of rules. It was a hard adjustment, and I'm happy to say I now have a dirty kitchen and crumbs on my couch again.