Saturday, August 11, 2007

Why Do We Care?

I had a strange moment yesterday. It really made me stop and think why as women/girls we care so much about what others think. I mean we care about how we look, how our kids look, what our house looks like, how smart we are, and the list goes on and on. WHY?

My moment was this... I was getting my swimsuit on to take the girls to the public pool. Bridget told me to put on my pretty red one. I was of course putting on my "make you look 10lbs lighter" black one. I told her that I didn't want to wear the red one today. She said,"Please wear it." I replied with," I want to wear this one." I hate to say anything about fat to her for I don't want her ever thinking she is fat. I guess I am too late. I said," I think the red one makes me look a little bit fat in my tummy." She said "I know what you mean, I too have fat days." This almost broke my heart for we all know she doesn't have an ounce of fat on her.

So I ask again, why do we as women care about what others think?

I like who I am and what I have. I know I am smart, funny, rather kind, have a husband who loves me, and my beautiful kids are well behaved(most of the time). So why do I still feel like it is not enough? I am getting better about not caring so much when people come over and the house is messy. I have lost weight and still look in to the mirror and think it is not enough. Heck I am 34 years old and don't want to think about weight gain for the rest of my days. Thank God I can't stand to throw up, or the bowl of ice cream I just ate after my pizza would be in the toilet :)

Am I the only one out there like this? I am pretty sure I am not. What am I doing to my 2 daughters? Am I programing them to think these thoughts too? I sure hope not.

2 comments:

JCR said...

I didn't feel a lot of pressure to always be put together when I had Tato. But now I have a girl, and something inside me feels that I need to lose weight, look good, etc., because now I have a girl who looks up to me. I don't know what causes that. I know that I should be teaching her that those things aren't as important...

Anonymous said...

I completely get it. Wouldn't it be nice to go wherever, for heaven's sake, without checking the mirror once before leaving. Unfortunately it has been engrained into us. I hope we can soften that stigma for our girls. "Good women, may we be them , may we know them, may we raise them."
For the record, don't worry, you're a great woman! Your daughters have a wonderful role model.