Thursday, October 2, 2008

Who Knew? Dangers With Tagless

I recently found out about this while reading a blog that I don't read daily. I was so shocked. I had no idea. What bothers me the most is that most of my girl's clothes come from Carter's or Oshgosh. I thought I was all for the tagless shirts, but now not so much. Why was this not in the news or the paper? Even Goodyblog didn't post anything yet. I am sure glad I came across it.
Apparently, the tagless tags can be made from two materials - one, a phthalate-containing PVC, and the other, a “solventborne polyurethane that is post cured via a catalyst,” and may include formaldehyde. If the labels are not sealed properly, the chemicals can leach and harm children’s skin. After their initial investigation, Z Recs believes the tags are not limited to Carter’s, but Circo (from Target) and Gerber as well. The Carter’s clothing seems to come from their Fall 2007 line, but now the investigation is broadening into 2008 clothing.
“If your child gets a rash or lesion, call Carter’s at 888-782-9548. Then call the CPSC to report the problem at their hotline number: 800-638-2772. Then email us photos and some information so that we can reference it when dealing with Carter’s and the CPSC and reporting accurately on this issue.”
I know there are many of us moms who would try anything and everything if our little one came down with a weird rash or worse. I think a tagless tag would be one of the last things I would think about. Now it will be one of the first!

No comments: