Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Another Last First

Today was the day. I have been saying this same phrase now for about a week if not longer. I am talking about taking my little A to get her first hair cut. Yes, for most, this day comes much sooner than 3 years old. For my girls I do not wait this long because I am growing out their hair, or because the thought of cutting their hair is too upsetting. No, I have to wait till my babies are 3 because they do not have hair. I am not kidding. If you were to look at my oldest you would never believe she did not have hair for the first 3 years of her life. But many of you have seen the photos on the blog, not much hair. I can put it in piggies, but they are not full piggies, they are thin strands of hair gathered together to look like long hair.

So I finally decided that today would be the day that A would get a bit of her mullet removed. I hoped that her curls would remain, but it was really looking shabby in the back. So off to Hair Cuttery we went. I am one of these types that refuses to pay $20 or more just so my kid can sit in a race car while her hair is cut. A $10 hair cut is just fine. Especially for the amount they remove from her head.

When we got there I decided to talk up the hair cut task at hand. I then realized that A had no idea really what a hair cut was. We have played hair cut, but she never had her hair cut. It took me a second to figure out why she asked me if was going to hurt. I then realized that cuts hurt. Seems to make sense then that a hair cut would hurt. I tried to reassure that this type of cut would not hurt at all.


The big chair began well, until the fact that Mommy was not going to sit with her (I had to take pictures). Then the tears began.
But I had her focus on herself in the mirror, and all was fine.
She even smiled and commented on the fact that it did not hurt. She was really proud of herself. She has told everyone today that, "She got her hair cut all by herself and it didn't hurt."


I will admit not much was taken off, but it does look better. I do have the little bits removed ready for the baby book too. Does break my heart a little knowing that this was the last time I would take my baby for a first hair cut.

2 comments:

Victoria said...

oh my goodness!!!!!! and i missed that moment :( hehe

Jen said...

Her hair has gotten so long!!