Monday, September 15, 2008

A Cleaning Day

Today Tom and I spent all day cleaning out the basement. My dad and brother also helped for many hours. I am so lucky to have such great family! My friend Alison took A all day and even took B after school. The best part is that she took them out to dinner with her kids so I didn't have to cook. I am so blessed! We got a ton done on the basement. All the items are out and at the curb, the carpet and padding are out, the new hot water heater is in and the new furnace is coming tomorrow. I now get to start looking for a new washer and dryer. My brother did a bang-up job on the mopping and disinfecting the entire basement. I might add that it was REALLY gross too.

I am still amazed with the amount of garbage we have at the end of the driveway. I can't believe we had all this stuff in the basement. Remember, we saved most of our stuff. I can't imagine what the pile would look like if we hadn't. It is sort of nice to think that I got rid of all this stuff and now I will go through all the rest to see what I really want to keep. I am not happy about the thought of storing it all somewhere, but perhaps a rental facility for a short time while the basement gets all new and pretty. maybe the flood was not so bad after all? Just kidding! It was still really bad. I probably would have saved more if it was just rain water. the thought of sewer water on all this stuff totally grosses me out. Nothing is worth saving after it has touched sewer water.

Thanks again for all of your concerns and dry thoughts. Things are getting better each day.

5 comments:

Victoria said...

family is an amazing blessing! glad it is getting all clean again! yucky sewage water, i would throw everything away too

JCR said...

You do have an amazing family! I'm so happy to hear that you made such progress. And wow, you already took care of the furnace and water heater?! Good luck with the hunt for a new washer & dryer.

Alicia said...

Glad to hear that things are better. We have been saying some prayers for you all! I'm also glad that you were able to save so much!

Kat said...

Keeping you in my prayers!!

Jen said...

Good news that you were able to get everything cleaned up and even better news that you are seeing the good in this!! Nothing says clean up and organize better than a flooded basement!!! Oh and even better yet, you didn't have to make dinner!! That rocks!!!