Saturday, September 13, 2008

I Wonder...

What will my new basement will look like?

I went downstairs to grab more hot coco mix this morning only to find that we had gotten a little water in the basement. No big deal I thought, we always get some on the unfinished side. Well then I went to the finished side just to check. OH MY GOD!!! I yelled upstairs,"We have WATER!" We all worked together as quickly as we could to remove everything we could from the basement as the water continued to flow in. I am so thankful for the amount of stuff we got upstairs before they got wet. We saved most of the stuff in just about one hour. I was pretty upset at moments, but then again it is quite a shock. Plus I spent a lot of time making the basement special for the girls and now it was filling with water. Not just rain water either, We get nasty sewer water. Oh, and I fell on my back in this nasty water too. That would make anyone upset.


At this time (4pm) we have over 2 feet of sewer water in the basement. It is up to the 3rd stair, over the outlets, in the dryer, and I don't want to think of where else. The photo was taken in the morning as we finished the removal. See, the couch is floating around. All sorts of stuff is floating around. It is really gross!



On the positive side... We luckly got almost everything upstairs, and I will get a new clean basement in the future. Driving around I have seen families with a lot more water worries than us. So as sad as I am about our water I am thankful that at this moment it is not all that bad. It makes me sick to think about the fact that if I had not gone down there when I did everything would have been lost. I'm sure if the water does not stop coming in soon I will be upset when I find all the thing I thought would have been safe that were not due to the height of the water. Plus now I have basement furniture and toys ALL over the house. No play dates at our house for for a while. :)

4 comments:

JCR said...

OH NO! I'm so very sorry to read this. That basement was the perfect play area. Glad you could save most of it. Keep me posted.

Kat said...

Oh no!!! I am so sorry. And now you have to share the couch and upstairs TV with hubby :( Sending driness you way.

Victoria said...

OH NOOOO!! I couldn't believe it when Marty told me...glad you were able to save everything though .

Jen said...

So sorry about the basement!! YIKES!! Seems like a lot of people got some serious flooding!!!