Sunday, September 14, 2008

A New Day

We survived of first major flood (day 1). The basement ended up getting 23 inches of sewer water in one day. When I woke up this morning the water was gone. In place was a lot of gross,muddy,stinky residue. Each part of the basement seems worse than the last. The bathroom is the hardest hit. I have inches of water just standing in my dryer. I thought of putting a rubber ducky in the water for laughs, but didn't get to it yet. I did find that 23 inches is a lot higher than I thought, so I have lost lots of teaching materials that I have acquired over the last 10 teaching years. That hurt! I did cry over this one. I can't even just dry the books out due to the fact they were soaked with poop water. I will write the ISBN# down and hope for the best. I was able to take pictures today and move more things upstairs. My main living area is just one huge mess. I can't even think about starting to organize it. Where will I put all this stuff?

We are still getting rain, so unfortunately we are again getting water in the basement. Like I care now. The damage is done. We now have to begin the clean up process and move on.

Thanks to all of you who called (phone was down) I got your messages this morning. Many good thoughts have come our way and keep them coming. We are in pretty good spirits mainly knowing that we saved most of the items from the basement. The hard part will be the clean up and redo now. The new way of living together with one tv and stuff all over the place will be a switch too. I know we will be fine.

1 comment:

Jen said...

That really is so horrible! I am so sorry that happened! Did a lot of others in the area/street get water too?