Thursday, October 4, 2007

Another First

As a mother of a Kindergartner I knew I would be asked to help in different ways. I am so happy to volunteer to read to the class, help with projects, chaperon field trips (as long as it is some place fun)and other ways in which I could use my talents.

There was only one thing I was staying away from. This one thing is lunch mom. This is a mom / dad who watches the class while they eat their lunch. The teacher is on her "kid free" time so they count on parent help for this time. It does not entail going outside, it is strictly while the kids are eating. Not hard really, I just wanted no part of this duty. I like kids, but not that much. Oh who am I kidding? I really don't like little kids all that much. (Main reason why I taught middle school)

Anyways... B was very interested in having me be lunch mom. For weeks she asked when I was going to come. I got her to accept that Daddy could do it and I would do it after Christmas. Well as of Monday I am actually doing it every other Thursday!!! I could not believe this. I had tried so hard to stay away from this job. I know I never signed any paper that said I would do this. How did I get put on the list once let alone twice?!?!

Well, today was my first day as lunch mom. I had to watch 8 kids :) yes, the Thursday group is rather small. Little A comes with me and eats her lunch right next to big sister. She was so excited. B was so happy too. The kids were good, and the time went by quickly. So I guess I can do this a couple of times a month. I mean what is one more trip to school in the grand scheme of things? For all I know this could be the only year I can do this if I go back to work right? I should take all the opportunities that come my way.

So another first accomplished.

3 comments:

Victoria said...

glad it went well!! that is so cute that A sat next to B!!!

Alicia said...

You are almost a memeber of lunch lady land! Watch out!

.mk. said...

Sure sounds different than when our mom would come for lunch duty.