Monday, October 8, 2007

My 20 Minute Store Run

Today I went to the grocery store with A. We left B at the library for story time and went to get a few items. Little A wanted to go with me, she did not want to stay to hear the stories. So I figured she would be good. SOOOOO not the case.

As soon as we got there she was on the hunt for a car cart. These obviously were invented by someone who does not have children nor has ever been in a grocery store. Those of us who have had to use this stupid cart now of what I am talking about. These carts are good for about 2 minutes. Then it is all about getting in and out, climbing on top, and no longer wanting anything to do with it. So I end up having to push this monster cart for the whole time instead of a regular cart. They are not easy to maneuver either by the way. They are not a fast stopping nor easy to turn. Both are essential with a 2 year old. So needless to say I was pleasantly pleased to find no available car carts upon entering the store.

A was ok with this fact, but now turned her attention to her new must have. "Holdie Momma" All she wants is for me to carry her. I think not! I am not going to push a cart while holding her. So I again explain that she may walk or ride in the cart. Neither of these options were good to her so the tears and screams began. We have been working on this for a few weeks now so I am used to the tears, and the "Holdie Momma" chant. I am not used to the hitting that began today. Nor am I used to the running into my crotch with huge tears running down her face. My shorts were all wet from these tears. Needless to say I wanted to leave, but really need the few items on my list. So I continued. I tried my best to ignore all the other adults staring at us, and tried to focus on the moms with the "I've been there" looks on their faces. I tried to get her interested in other things like finding the bananas, but that just resulted in her telling me I am mean. Yes, she actually said to me "Momma you are mean". Oh how I love this child.

After 4 aisles and what seemed like 20 minutes of screams and tears, her mood changed. She was now all about helping me and putting everything in the cart. She was picking out different things that she wanted to add to our list too. It was so strange how long this tantrum lasted and then how quickly it vanished.

All I can say is that I do not recall my B ever doing this and I never want to do it again. It does make me remember why God made my little sweet A so darn cute.

5 comments:

Victoria said...

oh boy!!! I was laughing out loud while reading this, B was never like that, but B is now very emotional and has her crazy tantrum days as well...oh little A...glad you made it through :)

Kat said...

hmmm, this sounds oh so vaguely familiar. Have you been tapping my brain again?

Alicia said...

I want to know does she get this from you or Tom? ;)

JCR said...

I hate those car carts! I always knock stuff over and it takes me twice as long to shop. Glad to hear A recovered. I will never understand how they bounce back all of a sudden.

Jen said...

The car cart is the worst and I am always so happy to walk into the store and see that they are being used already!

I have never even seen A cry. I am shocked and don't believe it! Not my little honey!!