Saturday, May 31, 2008

Animal Encounters

Today was a day filled with many encounters with/of animals. My day began with a fish bowl cleaning. Why do I continue to do this job when it is not my fish? It took me years to finally kill the last one. I can't even remember why I let my oldest get a new one. This job is not a tough one, but I find it a stinky one. I noticed today that there was green growth in the bowl and figured it was time to clean it. I do clean it almost weekly, so I was surprised to find the green slime. But I'd have to say the fish does look happy and he does seem to be swimming more. Job well done!

I had the girls outside to play Frisbee and all of a sudden B noticed some poop in the grass. Lucky for us she did not step in it. I do not have a dog so where did this poop come from? Perhaps it was a coyote that made this mess. I have no problem with that as long as he took a few chipmunks with him. If it is a dog walker then I'm pissed. First clean up you dog's mess and second what the heck is your dog doing in my front lawn? Keep it by the street! Needless to say I had to clean up that mess too.

We also took the girls to the animal shelter today to bring all of the items B collected at her party, instead of presents. We had a laundry basket full of treats and toys, plus about 7 cases of dog food. She was so proud, as was I. We looked around at all the possibilities, but did not come home with one. Nothing really caught my heart. I think B was a little sad about all the dogs there, but not so sad about not bringing one home. She just did not find a special one. Lucky me!

The last animal encounter was a dead chipmunk on our driveway. This was found by the kids as they were out playing. All of a sudden I looked out the window and noticed a small gathering around something. I sent husband out to find out what had captured their attention. Low and behold big tough husband came in to tell me that I had to go out and get it. He would not touch it! I first sanitized all little hands, for I did not believe that they did not touch it. Then with bag in hand scooped up the little guy. I will say that he was kinda cute, but I am glad it is gone. I actually believe I told husband to shove it back in the hole as a reminder to the rest of them what can happen. I know mean and heartless, but then again you have not seen what damage they have done to my house and yard. I no longer find them cute, unless of course they are dead.

Enough wildlife for one day I say.

1 comment:

Jen said...

You wish for a dead chipmunk early in the day when you see coyote poop and you end up having your wish granted!! Amazing!!

I am so proud of B!! That is so nice of her to do that for the animals!! As a HUGE dog resuce person, I am very happy to see youth involved with animal rescue!!

The right pup will come along!! Trust me.....