Wednesday, February 20, 2008

The Thrill Of Saving Money

I have been on the hunt for a clothes tree for the girl's bedroom. I have tried hooks, but they don't work well. We are now into gymnastics and ballet so I have many leotards to use weekly. They were getting out of control all over the chair. I figured a clothes tree would help. It would also provide a place to hang robes and B's uniform. So I looked and found one at Land of Nod that I liked. I did not like the price of $45 however.


I figured I would try the outlet. I called and since they did not have any there at this time they put me on a list to call if one came in. A few weeks later I was called. I ran over the next day.

I was in heaven! I not only found a good clothes tree but so much more! Now remember that all items here are damaged or what not. Some of the prices are really good, others not so much.

I walked out of there with these main items. The clothes tree, 5 shelf bookcase, chalkboard, and the activity table(minus the paper roll thing)







If I went to the store and bought these items they would not be scratched, have a bent corner, have a touch of chipped paint, or a piece of bottom molding missing. None of these were big issues to me. My kids will scratch the table, I was able to unbend the corner of the chalkboard, the chipped paint you can't see when the clothes are on the tree, and the missing molding I can replace on the bottom of the bookcase.

What was a big deal to me was the $570 savings I made!!! Yup! If I had paid full price for non damaged goods I would have paid over $700. I did not spend that much at all. My 2 best items of the day were the table for $20 and the bookcase for $50. They both retail for almost $300 each.

Not every time do I find such great deals, but this time I lucked out and had to share. I guess I will have to remember to call first and hope for the best.

The new furniture did require me to redo the playroom and part of the girl's bedroom. The girls are so happy now with their "school" area in the playroom. I too am happy now with crap off B's dresser due to her new bookcase.

I am thinking of getting the cushions to go with the table now. The outlet had 2 orange ones, but not that much cheaper. Perhaps I will make a call tomorrow :)






5 comments:

Victoria said...

cute!! so excited to see what i "helped" redo in the playroom...haha

Kat said...

Everything but the kitchen sink...oh wait. There is a picture of that too! Congrats on your score! I love when that happens.

JCR said...

What a sweet deal!! You're my shopping hero.

Alicia said...

Three cheers for bargain shopping!

Jen said...

Total luck of the draw there!! Good job!! The only thing I EVER scored there was a dresser for Addie - remind me to show you if you ever make it north 20 miles!!

I love that table!! I need to keep them in mind for the playroom!